-->

jueves, mayo 11, 2006

As I was coming home from a nice night-out with my friends, I had the bizarrest conversation with the Rickshaw-driver (Mumbai's ubiquitous three-wheeled medium of transport). It went something like this -

Me: (Exhausted) Phew!
Rickshaw Driver (RD): So, had a late night?
Me: Yeah, well..
RD: Did you get off early today from work?
Me: Huh?
RD: No, it's just that I picked you up much later the other day..
Me: (Still confused) No, I wasn't working... you picked ME up? When?
RD: 10 days ago, it must have been 3 in the morning. You'd finished your night shift and were going back home.

Now this was too much. Not only do I not work in shifts (I *hate* the whole system of working in shifts), I distinctly have no recollections of someone picking me up at 3 in the night! So -

Me: Are you sure it was me? It could've been anyone.. after all you drop off hundreds of people a day...
RD: No Sir, there are four categories of people whose faces I never forget - Lawyers, Cops, Professors and people from my village.
Me: (Trying hard not to laugh, as I'm neither of the 4 above) Ohh yeahhh.. I'm glad you remembered me. It's hard to find Rickshaw Drivers who actually remember people they've dropped off! So, how are you today?

That, I guess was the pebble that broke the barrier. For the next 20 minutes, I had to listen to stories of how he remembered faces, returned forgotten items like mobile phones and cash to their respective owners just by remembering what they looked like, and how it was physically impossible for him not to remember me from the last time, as he had such a photographic memory!

There sure is no dearth of strange people in this world!

3 Comments:

  • Thanks man, I just had my IESE interview yesterday May 10th, and I can honestly attest to the fact that I have never, ever in my life done so poorly on an interview. Based on that alone, I would be surprised to hear a positive response from the university... whatever, worst case scenario I go to ESADE... and in the past few years, it's been flying through the rankings. Ces't la. Anyways, to Barcelona we go regrdless :)

    By Blogger ... j, at 4:36 p. m.  

  • whatever...dude...I'm boozed off now...as u cud see...but good work on the unorthodox look of blogs..,,way 2 go dude....just mail me ur indias number...i ll call u sometime before i leave london...to hot summers of north india.. ;)

    By Blogger Varun Gautam, at 4:17 a. m.  

  • well apparently ... my interview led to my disassociation with IESE. No worries though, my main focus was BCN, and I shall be attending ESADE.... in the event that you should care to grab a drink in Barca, you know how to find me.

    Best of luck at school, and should we encounter any competitions, watch out ;P

    Cheers,
    - Jacek

    By Blogger ... j, at 8:37 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


I, Me, Myself

Indian. MBA. IESE. Barcelona. Need I say more?
Bestsellers..
  • Noelle(IESE 07)
  • Susan (IESE 08)
  • Francois (IESE 08)
  • Owen (IESE 08)
  • Pradeep (IESE 07)
  • Francis (IESE 07)
  • George (IESE 07)
  • Varun (IESE 08)
  • Zingy (NUS 08)
  • Nef
  • Domodomo @ Insead
  • Zanat0s @ Insead
  • Conditional Reality
  • Post Secret
  • Archives