-->

domingo, mayo 28, 2006

The Da Vinci Bore.

Disclaimer - Those of you who're about to see the film and don't want any spoilers, stop reading now.

Having just seen the film 57 minutes ago, I can safely describe Ron Howard's latest in one word - crap, crap, crap. Ok that was 3 words, but guess what, Ron didn't keep any of his promises either. I don't believe that this is the same guy that gave us A Beautiful Mind. Clearly, the guy's losing his touch.

Let me make this clear - I'm no Da-Vinci-Code-the-book fan. I think the premise was superb, the suspense build up was great, but Dan Brown pretty much butchered the ending, so I wasn't expecting the movie to blow me away anyways. Although, I didn't expect it to be so bad.

So, what was so wrong about the film? Just about everything. I can understand that directing a film that's based on a best seller is tough, and that the director has to make certain allowances to the plot, but I was aghast at the liberal interpretation RH has made of the novel.

Things I didn't like -
1. Extremely patchy. I wonder how much sense it made for someone who hasn't read the book.
2. The entire film seemed like a seedy treasure hunt, reminiscent of Indiana Jones or The Librarian - Quest for the Spear (I just saw this on TV yesterday - BAD movie).
3. The liberal interpretation that I was talking about up there - like 24 Rue Haxo being inscribed on the key instead of being written by Sauniere, like Sister Sandrine having a list of the members of the Priory - with their names on it!, like Sophie and Robert walking into Bois de Boulogne and buying some stuff off a junkie for 50 bucks (what was that about??), like the Swiss bank account coming with a "safe passage" clause, like Remy admitting to Silas that he was the Teacher, like doing away with the first cryptex entirely, like Sauniere not turning out to be Sophie's "real" grandfather.. I could go on and on and on.
4. Tom Hanks. The guy is brilliant, but that entire movie was such a waste. I only hope he got a lot of money for it, coz it's definitely not getting him any awards.

Things I liked -
1. Sophie trying to walk on water. That was funny.
2. Sophie, i.e. Audrey Tatou, and her accent. Yummy.
3. Jean Reno, did a good job as Fache.
4. Did I mention Sophie?

So in short, it was a good waste of money and time, if you don't happen to like Audrey Tatou. They say Spielberg's planning to direct the prequel Angels and Demons, and I sincerely hope he does a better job. There, I'm done.

Boy, if you've come this far, you either really dislike the movie or really like me, or have nothing to do. So for your sake more than mine, I'm gonna go off to sleep and hope to apply for my PCC tomorrow.¡Hasta Pronto!

Filed in:

3 Comments:

  • Forget the movie.. wats with ur template man?! On my browser your posts appear on the extreme right with this whole huge whiite space in between for nothin haha...

    and ive updated blog. go read!

    By Blogger Zingy, at 5:55 p. m.  

  • I told you, it's screwed.. (the template, and i said that about the book when you bastard tied me on your sofa and forced me to read it :p )

    By Blogger Nefisa, at 9:00 p. m.  

  • Z - There, does that make you happy??

    Nef - LOL I actually do remember that.. and I also remember you yelling out "mais elle est prostituée!" :) Well I agree, it was a silly book alright!

    By Blogger Ashwyn, at 7:10 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


I, Me, Myself

Indian. MBA. IESE. Barcelona. Need I say more?
Bestsellers..
  • Noelle(IESE 07)
  • Susan (IESE 08)
  • Francois (IESE 08)
  • Owen (IESE 08)
  • Pradeep (IESE 07)
  • Francis (IESE 07)
  • George (IESE 07)
  • Varun (IESE 08)
  • Zingy (NUS 08)
  • Nef
  • Domodomo @ Insead
  • Zanat0s @ Insead
  • Conditional Reality
  • Post Secret
  • Archives